Good afternoon, and welcome to this week’s edition of the Innovations Team’s newsletter, ID, or Innovations Digest; our download of what’s happening in the world of Pop-Culture, Technology, Online Video, and Marketing. As we are continually trying to make this a useful resource for you, please feel free to reach out to us with any feedback.
Thank you for reading the ID blog. We hope this continues to be a convenient way for you to receive and read ID. For the rest of you who enjoy the email format, do not fret, we will continue to send that out as well.
Thank you for all your guidance, patience, and support as we attempt to make this a valuable resource and entertaining experience for all.
Your Innovations Team
- We may have found this year’s “William Hung” from American Idol – only this guy is actually hilarious, not just embarrassing. Last week we saw General Larry Platt perform his original song, “Pants on the ground,” and can’t seem to get it out of our heads. Now, you too can have fun singing “Pants on the ground! Pants on the ground! Looking like a FOOL with your pants on the ground!” over and over again. Everybody join in! Look even Brett Favre is pumping his team up with Pants on the ground!
- If you don’t know the Conan/Leno debacle, here’s a quick brief: NBC wanted to push Conan to 12:05 and bring Leno to Conan’s spot – Leno agreed, Conan, not so much. Now, it’s Conan and the people vs. Leno and NBC. There’s a Facebook group called “I’m with COCO,” which when our very own Shane Rodack checked this morning at 10am had about 365,000 fans. 4 hours later, at 2pm it had 413,820 fans – and growing! What is it now? Conan supporters are protesting with him in the streets of New York, Hollywood, and Chicago. He’s also built a website called Conan Needs A Job – All offers will be considered, where you can submit jobs you’d like Conan to work on for you. But our favorite – Conan has put his “Barely-Used Late Night Talk Show” up for sale on Craigslist, as well as himself, “Tall Slender Redhead Available for Nighttime Recreation.” Hilarious and brilliant.
- Google was granted a new patent that will allow them to digitally update (read: sell) billboards that were captured in Street View in order to keep content relevant (read: make more money). As the article notes, “It’s going to devise a code bot that will automatically recognize physical adverts in Street View imagery, and then there will be a system that lets Google re-sell the same advertising space digitally so that more up to date info is presented to Street View visitors.”
- Red Bull has a really cool campaign called Red Bull: Inside Tahiti. It’s a 360 degree video experience that you control – it’s REALLY cool. Even in a standard online video screen you can sort of create an IMAX motion feel/experience and we haven’t seen anything else like it. Scroll to the bottom of the page and play the Lifestyle Montage video, then click and drag your cursor around the video screen.
- We’ve been bringing you fantastic stuff that the Muppets have been releasing online, most notably their renditions of Bohemiam Rhapsody and Ringing of the Bells. They’re back with an interactive digital play for Disney’s Give a Day, Get a Day campaign. It’s a fun faux page take-over viral experience, and if nothing else, gets a smile out of you. Put your name in and try it out – especially if you’re having a bad day.
- Google recently released an awesome stop-motion video of tiny ninjas unboxing the new Nexus One which is quickly racking up views and buzz. For those unfamiliar with the term “unboxing, “ Urban Dictionary defines it as, “The Internet trend of showing photos or video from the unpacking of a retail box of some desirable product, such as the latest laptop or portable music player.” Others prefer to simply call it, “Geek porn.” Whatever you choose to call it, this is a cool video.
Viral of the Week:
- As the CEO of this mobile manufacturer learned, if you’re going to say your product is something or can do something, in this case it’s “completely unbreakable,” you better make sure that it is true in every scenario possible – especially before you film it.
- PARENTAL ADVISORY – This week’s Innovations pick is rated PG-13 for not-so-subtle sexual innuendo – if you are easily offended, this isn’t for you. Axe released an edgy but absolutely hilarious video for their Axe Detailer, which is basically a souped-up loofah for men that is supposed to be used with Axe shower gel. We know this is edgy, but we at Innovations can’t just push this aside because it may be controversial. Sometimes, it takes controversy, and dare we say, cojones, to really step up and be innovative.
This week’s contributors: